Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Friday 13 February 2015

Part Three - Putting yourself in the picture: Reflections

A very interesting part of this module!  My feet briefly touched the ground in early December and early January but other than that it was all systems go!  And I have now managed to secure a routine that is working.  On Saturdays (when I'm not in Cumbria or at an event) I practice my street photography and on Sundays I do my coursework.  During the work I am still trying to read but am constantly distracted by looking at photos on Flickr.... But, at least I know feel that I have addressed the imbalance I was feeling between academic and personal work.

All in all though, I'm really pleased; my street photography is moving and I'm loving it.  I don't think my submission for Assignment Three was great, but it was a departure from what has been a consistent approach to my street photography since October 2014.  So at least I tried something new! And I think I found out that from a personal style perspective, I prefer making colour and humour to making something dark (but the photos I took were only dark in black and white, in colour they looked funny!).

So, what else have I done during Part Three?  I have:
  • Practiced Street Photography LOTS :)  both in Japan and in London
  • Had conversations with two inspirational photographers
  • Recapped a project from last year - a revisit to a childhood memory
  • Researched Dana Popa's Not Natasha
  • Researched various street photographers that are new to me
  • Visited the Conflict.Time.Photography exhibition at the Tate Modern and participated in the group discussion afterwards
  • Posted my review on the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition and understood how your state of mind can impact your enjoyment of photography
  • Learned about different approaches to self-portraiture / self-documentary / auto-biographical / introspective photography
  • Still read 0 books, although I am now halfway through The Bang Bang Club
  • Still have a stack of BJPs to read through...
Looking forward to moving on to Part Four - although there are no photos to take for Assignment Four :(

No comments:

Post a Comment