Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Sunday 28 September 2014

Alejandro Cegarra - BJP September 2014

I first became of Alejandro Cegarra's work about half a year ago when I saw his Tower of David series at the Sony World Photography Awards exhibition earlier this year (see post in DPP blog).  So I was pleased to read in the September 2014 edition of BJP on page 7 that the same series has won him the Ian Parry Scholarship.  I found it interesting that Cegarra attributes his success to (Cegarra quoted Smyth, 2014, p7):

"I really believe that [being local] makes a difference; it gives you a deep understanding of what is really happening. [...]  'Move as a local but see as a foreigner; be a foreigner in your own country and be curious.'  That's what I'm trying to do".

I have heard similar perspectives previously.  To produce a successful project, you need to know and understand your subject but retain at the same time retain sufficient distance to produce commentary.

I find Cegarra's work very striking: clean lines, use of dark and light, and compelling subject matter.


References
  • Smyth, D. (2014) Alejandro Cegarra wins Ian Parry. British Journal of Photography 161 (7828), p. 7
Websites
Own work referenced

No comments:

Post a Comment