Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Sunday 28 September 2014

On Composition and Improvisation by Larry Fink

I wanted to read this book as it promised to teach about layering within a frame, a technique that I am trying to implement in my street photography (and as Dave Mason achieves so well!).  What I actually found though (unless I haven't read the book properly) is that this is Larry Fink's account of his own photography, not a guide to composition, and I don't particularly like his photographs either.  And to be honest, I think that Mason's images are more layered than Fink's!  Disappointing.

Sure enough, there are little tips here and there, e.g move an inch to the left or right and your perspective will change, but what I actually need is something that's going to make me stop and slow down and actually put theory of composition into practice. 

Note to self - only read photography guides by photographers whose work you know and respect!

Bibliography
  • Fink, L. (2014) on Composition and Improvisation, New York, Aperture Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment