Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Saturday 22 November 2014

Feedback and response to Assignment One: Two Sides of the Same Story

Delighted to receive very constructive feedback to Assignment One, with the decay aspects working better.  The main learning points being to avoid being too literal in interpretation and try to be more organic.  The examples I chose to illustrate the two sides of the town were a little obvious and clichéed, and did not show enough difference between the two sets of photographs, although my tutor did mention that some of the photographs worked well.  Had I used different approaches/techniques, I might have captured a more distinct view.  Annoyingly, I considered this, and then rejected it to avoid a clichéed response!

My tutor recommended that I try to rework some of the assignment to show more polarised view and perhaps present the images in different styles, e.g. a facebook style approach to the positive and retaining the square restricted view of the negative.  She also suggested that I actually didn't need the captions, as the photographs spoke for themselves and adding them ended up restricting me somewhat in my approach.

I think that what I will try to do is to reshoot in May/June before I submit for final assignment.  Feltham becomes very garish in the summer and this will help more with snapshotty style imagery.  I also think I might reshoot the whole lot in street photography style, rather than looking at urban structures and try to focus on people's behaviour within the space, rather than looking at structures.  This is the direction my photography is now heading in!

No comments:

Post a Comment