Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Sunday 30 November 2014

Part Three - Putting yourself in the picture: Project Two - Masquerades: Exercise 2 - Childhood memory

This exercise asks us to recreate a childhood memory in a photograph.  I explored this topic quite deeply in the Digital Photographic Practice module, which I did not complete and therefore have not submitted for assessment.  Rather than repeat the exercise, I will refer to this one instead, the work for which can be found via this link: http://jointheaadpp.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page.html and then following the various links under Assignment Three: Monochrome.  The photography was executed in May 2014, so still relatively recently and consisted of trying to rediscover my childhood memories of Felixstowe, where I spent my childhood holidays with my grandparents, parents and sister.

Here are my further thoughts about this exercise:
  • The memory involved me directly and was all about my own fondness and attachment to the place that houses the memories of my grandparents.
  • I did not include my adult self in the photographs; this about what I had seen with my eyes as a child and wanted to see again as an adult.
  • I neither recreated the memory literally, as I was prepared for a) time moving on and b) not recreating scenes. I was just revisiting locations that I associated with those memories, nor did I recreate it metaphorically.  I think the end result is actually like a retrospective documentary.
  • I did accompany the images with text; I put together a presentation which I have uploaded below.
  • The photographs mostly resembled my memories; I was surprised at how little had changed and also that the scenes I visited where in such a good state of repair.  Felixstowe had obviously taken care of itself!  But, one noticeable difference, which is predictable, is that the buildings were a lot smaller.
  • If I went back now to repeat the exercise, with the same focus on location, the subject matter would be the same, photography might be better compositionly (think I've improved!) but would I have got the same amazing sky?  Actually, I intend to go back to Felixstowe in 2015, but to carry out some seaside street photography, rather than recreation of memories.  
Here is the presentation I created:

























No comments:

Post a Comment